The Upson County courthouse, one of Georgia's finest, is the design of noted architect Frank Milburn, and cost $60,000 to build in 1908. This is the third courthouse built on this site. The first courthouse was built in 1828 and also made of brick.
Built in 1892, this bridge spanned Auchumpkee Creek in southern Upson County until floods destroyed it in 1994. The bridge was rebuilt in 1997, using pieces from the original structure. In 1892 the bridge was built at a cost of $1,195. The cost of rebuilding in 1997 was $209,000.
Youtube video showing bridge restoration
The Pettigrew-White-Stamps House is the second oldest house in Thomaston, built in 1833 by John E. Pettigrew. On May 5, 1833, Pettigrew bought lot Number 21 from Thomas Beall, on which he built the one and a half story house with a full attic.
In May 1840 Benjamin B. White bought the house, and he added an additional bedroom, a dining room and kitchen, and a large verandah across the back of the residence.
In the 1880's the house came into the possession of the Stamps family, who lived there until 1968.
The house was presented to the Upson County Historical Society by the former Citizens and Southern Bank of Thomaston and was moved to a new location on Highway 19, at the junction of South Church Street and Thurston Avenue.
Try downloading our self-guided tours!