Fans of Flint Rose Studio
! Like many downtown buildings, Fawne DeRosia’s place located at 104 N. Church Street has some impressive history.
In a recent research request, we’ve discovered this early 1927 structure housed numerous local businesses over the years. Thomaston’s Telephone & City Directories were invaluable to this research.
Starting on December 10, 1926, the Thomaston Times released the following story of a Mr. M.C. Dominy, Dublin, GA, who was about to open a new milk depot. The City Dairy Company was to be the name of this new facility. The plant was fit with equipment to bottle, pasteurize, and churn. For years, Thomaston only had two such plants.
Over time, Mr. Walter Lewis Brown took over operation of the City Dairy. While we unfortunately do not carry any photographs of the business, Brown’s son, Mr. Walter Brown, recalls the front of the store had a counter where customers could purchase milk and ice cream. The back housed the equipment used for the dairy processes. In 1945, Mr. Brown had another, larger facility built which also served the public in storing meat and other perishables. The City Dairy & Freezer Locker was located at the site of Thomaston Hardware today, although the building has since been torn down.
From the late 1940’s, Mr. Hartley Barron purchased the former City Dairy on 104 N. Church, turning it into Barron’s Photography Studio. Sometime between 1960 and 1961, Mr. Barron moved his business just next door to 106 N. Church.
By 1961, the telephone directory showed the building was occupied by Seaboard Finance Co. It remained so at least until 1968.
In 1970, our directory shows the building was then occupied by Ballew’s Furniture & Carpet Mart.
By 1972, the building was listed as vacant
Later, between 1974-1978, the Upson County Library was housed there.
1979 shows vacancy again.
Between 1981 and 1988, the site was then occupied by the County Adult Education Center.
Finally, in 1989, the listing changed to the building’s longtime owners, Jane & Frank Varner, who owned Custom Framing.
Today, 104 N. Church houses an impressive art studio!