On behalf of our entire staff, City of Thomaston, and Upson County; welcome to the online site of the Thomaston-Upson Archives.
With guidance from the Georgia Department of
Archives and History, the Thomaston-Upson Archives was established
in 1994. With the cooperation and funding assistance of the City of
The Thomaston-Upson Archives is housed in the former R. E. Lee Institute high school library, named the George A. Harrison Memorial Library. Professor Harrison was principal of R. E. Lee Institute from 1879-1886.
This Georgian-style building was designed by the architectural firm of Saggus, Williamson, Vaught, and Spiker of Atlanta, Georgia. Land for the library was given by Julian Hightower. In 1968, Community Enterprises, Inc., a foundation of Thomaston Mills, Inc., funded the construction of the library and three decades later furnished the Archives.
The Archives houses historic records as early
as 1821, is a model for the state on joint cooperation and has
earned many awards. Over 3,000 visitors and researchers travel from
For upcoming programs, news and interesting local items be sure to visit the Thomaston-Upson Archives Blog site at http://thomastonupsonarchives.wordpress.com/.
Click Here to View the Thomaston-Upson Archives Blog page to view what we are doing, upcoming programs, news, and interesting local items.
Bonnie Smith-Asst. Archivist.
Claude Burgess-Archivist Asst.