Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Posted on November 30, 2018 at 12:09 PM by Jamesan Stuckey
Posted on November 21, 2018 at 3:58 PM by Jamesan Stuckey
*The following was taken from a history of Pasley-Fletcher Funeral Home, written by James P. Fletcher, 1993*
2018 marks a whopping 125 years of business for Fletcher-Day Funeral Home!
This family owned business had its beginnings in 1893 as a livery stable. Mr. Charles M. Pasley Sr. opened the stable on the corner of North Center and East Thompson Streets. A 1905 Sanborn Map of Thomaston shows it to be across the street from the current location of the post office. *Note that what is listed on the map as Railroad St. is now Hightower St. & what was Gibson is now Gordon St.*
Business included selling livestock and renting buggies, mules, and horses. Pasley was also called upon to use his equipment to transport caskets to and from the family residences of deceased individuals. It was around Christmas time when Mr. Pasley was asked to not only provide his horse and buggy, but also a casket for the deceased. Afterward he decided to make caskets in advance so not to interrupt his daily routine. By 1918 his son Charles Jr. joined the business which eventually led to the name change of C.M. Livery, Feed, and Sale Stable to C.M. Pasley & Son. In 1921, Charles Jr. married Jewell Barron and she quickly became involved with the funeral business. Together they began married life in the Pasley Hotel. Unfortunately, it was destroyed by fire in 1928. The couple persevered and built a boarding house on the same site as the hotel and it opened in 1929. It’s said that Charles Jr. had the idea of one day converting it to a fully functioning funeral home which is exactly what happened in 1937. After Charles Sr.’s death in 1940, Charles Jr. changed the name of the business to Pasley Funeral Home.
In 1957, Jimmy J. Fletcher joined the staff of Pasley Funeral Home. He was a welcome addition as he was Charles Jr.’s son in law, marrying Ann Pasley in 1952. Jimmy also graduated from the Cincinnati College of Embalming and received his Georgia Funeral Director’s License in 1957. By 1961 he became a full partner and the name was changed to the longstanding Pasley-Fletcher Funeral Home. Ann Pasley Fletcher also became active in the family’s business in 1968 until her passing in 2017.
In 1972, Pasley-Fletcher Inc. moved to its current location on 628 North Church Street. It was the first building in Thomaston designed and built from the ground up exclusively as a funeral home. Second generation owners, Charles Jr. and Mrs. Jewell continued to work in the business for the rest of their lives. Charles passed in 1976 while Jewell passed in 1991. Later Jimmy and Ann’s sons, James P. and Robert H. Fletcher, took over the funeral home after their father retired. Mr. Jimmy later passed away in 2002.
In recent years, longtime employee Mr. Darren Day became Vice-President of the firm while Bob Fletcher is President. In 2015 the name was changed to the current Fletcher-Day Funeral Home, Inc. What an impressive history of this longstanding family business.
Thomaston Timees, May, 1963
Thomaston Times, June 27, 1963
(Pasley-Fletcher Funeral Home, Lateral Files: History, Thomaston-Upson Archives)
Posted on November 1, 2018 at 8:53 AM by Jamesan Stuckey